Sunday 8 February 2009

Sunday Update - The Heavy

Okay, so every Sunday I'll be giving an update on the state of the game. Each week I'll be giving some information on one of the classes along with some general information. You probably won't be seeing any prototype cards here for a while though, I won't even be touching card design until the first draft rules are written. So let's get on with it!

First off, a little note on class packs. The initial set of cards won't be taking into account anything added in TF2's class packs. I decided this so I wouldn't get overwhelmed with all of the different weapons and changes. In addition, I've reduced the number of cards in the initial set from 300 to 200, again, to make things a little easier on me. As soon as work has finished on the initial set, I'll begin work on the expansion sets. For your viewing pleasure, a brief overview on the first couple of expansions (note that this is subject to change):

Expansion I:
  • New weapons and abilities for the Heavy.
  • New weapons and abilities for the Medic.
  • New game type: Control Points.
Expansion II:
  • New weapons and abilities for the Pyro.
  • New weapons and abilities for the Scout.
  • New game type: Payload.

Okay, so onto a bit of information on this week's class...The Heavy!

If you've been reading from the beginning, you will have read that I had given the Heavy a defensive role. This has gone out of the window. I've redesigned the class to be the heaviest hitter in the game. The player is able to spend as much of his ammo reserves as he likes firing his chaingun and doing considerable damage in the process. However, for each shot fired there is a chance that they ALL miss. What does this mean? The heavy has been designed for the gamblers among you who are willing to take the risk for a high damage payoff. Of course, for those of you who don't want to take that risk, the Heavy can of course be equipped with his trusty shotgun. Why would you want a Heavy who didn't dish out huge amounts of damage? Two words. Meat. Shield. The Heavy will have several cards allowing him to protect his other team members from damage, making him viable in any team combination.

Next week I'll be talking about the Medic and I'll be giving an overview of how classes will work in the game.

Thanks to everyone who has e-mailed and posted on the blog with card ideas. While several don't fit in the game for mechanical reasons, expect many of them to end up in the final product. Oh, and I decided to leave out the various fourth wall cards, for now at least.

2 comments:

Sheepshifter said...

My idea for the game is to have different class cards of varying skill levels, with more skilled class cards taking up more points of a certain limit on every deck. (Think Warhammer)

For example:

100 point limit.
Newbies take up 5 points
Skilled players take up 7 points
Veterans take up 10 points
Pros take up 13 points

Unknown said...

I kind of like the idea sheep-shifter gave, although if that isn't your approach I'd like to hear that approach to.

I... don't have much to say right now, but I'd like to say you have my support on this!